Thursday, July 21, 2016

DIY: Fabric Bed

I've been working on Cristen's room since the beginning of summer and it's coming along slowly but surely. Mike wouldn't let me sell her bed and get a fabric head/foot board like I wanted so I had to come up with a way to make my own fabric head/foot board with her existing bed. Of course I went to Pintrest and got some ideas. I finally came up with this idea because it's somewhat temporary, and won't really damage the bed. I originally was going to put tacks all along the edges of each piece I made, and I did end up putting thumbtacks (those were the shortest thing that would go in this particular wood) all the way around the foot board. Let me tell you, it was time consuming and sucked. The worst part, I ended up not liking it, mainly because it wasn't straight, and had to take all of them off. They were not easy going in, even though the wood is very thin, it took forever, I had to use too many different tools to place them, and quite a few broke. With that being said, I bought 3 packs of 200 thumbtacks. I used 2 packs with the exception of about 40 from the second pack, plus the one's that broke, I probably used over 300 just for the foot board! Was not fun, and then I didn't like it. It wasn't as bad taking them off, it still was not fun, and it did leave tiny holes in the fabric around the edge of the board but you have to look and can not see in a photo. You really have to look. I may eventually find some type of tool that puts something like those on to make it easier, I may leave it like it is, or I could sew, iron, or glue on some type of boarder. For now, I say mission accomplished. I can move on the next project in her room. Today, I am going to do my best and "show" you, one way, how to get a fabric head and foot board look on a bed.
 Here is a look at her bed before I got started:

I bought a roll of tracing paper to tape on the entire length of the head and foot board.
If you notice on this bed how it goes in. The outside thick edge of the head and foot board stick out past the head/foot board pattern...
I traced the inside pattern, not the outside edge of the head and foot board. Hopefully that makes sense. After I traced both boards, I cut the tracing paper and used that for a template to cut the wood that I will to use to cover in fabric.
We bought 1/8" laminate plywood for this project, specifically because of the thickness, or thinness rather. Mike cut it with a saw, went around the edges by hand with some sand paper and voila, he made me my board to wrap in fabric!
I used this quilt batting between the wood and the fabric to help the fabric stick and to give it a pillow-y, cushion look. This time I used the wood as a template to cut the quilt batting and also the fabric. Ignore the furniture tacks in the photo. I bought those intending on using them, only to discover they were too long and even more difficult to place than the thumbtacks I tried. 
I had bought this grey colored fabric, weeks ago, at Wal-Mart. I bought 2 yards, which ended up being perfect, I actually still have a good bit left. I got everything aligned, and straight, flipped it over and stapled away. 
I used Velcro to attach the fabric board to the actual head and foot board. We figured this was the best non-permanent solution. This Velcro is powerful and these boards aren't falling off for nothing. After I put the Velcro on the bed, lined the board in place and it adhered, I thought, when taking it off, the board was going to snap in half because the Velcro was so strong! So, I know it's not going anywhere. And originally I thought I would have to put more strips of Velcro, however I don't think that's necessary. I used three strips on the headboard and three strips on the foot board. 
I did the exact same to make the headboard. I was a little off on the headboard, but it still works. And it's not permanent so it technically could be replaced or fixed. I would have to re-trace and Mike would have to cut another piece of wood. That's just not necessary because it looks just fine. The headboard is mostly covered with pillows anyways. Let me know what you think or if you have any questions. I always love to hear some feedback. My 'how to' instructions may be terrible, so hopefully the photos can do the explaining too.

Here's what you will need:
1/8" Laminate Plywood Sheet
Staple Gun
1/4"/6mm Staples
Quilt Batting
2/yd Fabric
Roll of Translucent Tracing Paper
Velcro (I used the industrial strength 4"X 2" strips, comes in pack of 2)
Scissors
Masking Tape (or some type of tape that isn't too sticky)



 

No comments:

Post a Comment